In 1952 Holy Cross experienced its first change in pastors. Rev. Meyer, recognizing the need for chaplains in the armed forces, plus his own ambition to serve in this capacity, requested the congregation to grant him a 21 -month leave-of-absence to enter the American Air Force. The request was granted, but certainly reluctantly because of the wonderful success that pastor and people had working together. During the period of absence, student vicars were to serve. The first vicar arrived in June, then student, Lloyd Wentzlaff. Rev. H. H. Erdman served as vacancy pastor from Rev. Meyer's departure in April until the middle of June.
When Rev. Meyer left, the parsonage at 15 Stirling Avenue. N. was sold for $8,068.25, and the full debt with the District of $8,303.72 was paid off.